Monday, June 27, 2005

Last Trips in Cincinnati- National Underground Railroad Freedom Center

So for the past couple of weeks, I've been visiting the few places in the that I really wanted to go to before I left the 'Nati. For people who don't know, I can't stand this place, but there are few special places in Cincinnati. Two weekends ago, I went to a baseball game at the Great American Ball Park (which is named for the Great American Insurance Co. located in the city, which is a nice coincidence considering it's America's sport- which raises the question about why it's the world series and nobody else is in it, except Toronto I think.) But anyway that was cool- it's a beautiful stadium with no obstructed seats and a beautiful view of the Ohio River looking into Kentucky.


The most important trip that I needed to take was to the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, which sits on the banks of the Ohio in Cincinnati. The museum has special meaning for me- not only because I am African-American, but also because my great-uncle is senior historian at the museum. The museum is part of the Smithsonian and is humbling, informative, and brilliantly done. One of the most memorable aspects of the museum is that the 4th floor is dedicated to the continual struggle for freedom by people of all races and nationalities. There is a wall that illustrates the sacrifices people have made to end hunger, communism, racism, and genocide. It's one of the few things that will probably bring me back to the city. If you find yourself traveling through Cincinnati, take a moment and stop in or take a few moments to visit the museum's website at www.freedomcenter.org.

3 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the advice. Surprisingly I was barely able to fill Columbia's 1000 word limit. Maybe after some people read it and I find out that I haven't answered the question thoroughly I'll be able to add more!!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Forrest Gump said...

hey -

wanted some regarding info about stanford admissions. can i mail you at some email id of yours ?

forrestgump47@gmail.com

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Keven said...

The Freedom Center is great. Admit it, you'll miss Cinci when you're sitting on the Pacific Ocean... or maybe not.

Personally the one thing I'll miss when I leave Cincinnati (apart from friends) is the view of the city when you come through the cut in the hill from Kentucky.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home