Wednesday, March 09, 2005

My 2 cents...

Wow, two posts in one day- I really have motivation issues on my job right now. In any case, by now EVERYBODY knows about this ApplyYourself/HBS/MIT/CMU/etc. issue. So I'll share my insights without acting like I'm on some high horse. This is a real perspective from a very real person.

1) Now not just because I've been admitted there, I appreciate Stanford's stance. I hope that they don't change and follow the controversial path that HBS and others have taken. What I've learned in the corporate world that typically the best position to take is to not take one immediately, sit and think about it (you're guaranteed to see the issue from several different perspectives if you give it time), and then make a decision.
1.5) After thinking about it a while, I do understand why the schools are upset. But I also think AY needs to step up to the plate and recognize their part in this. Looks like a discount to me.
2) I consider myself to be pretty ethical. But I have to say I considered using the link to see if it worked. I've already been admitted - I would have only accessed a decision I'm already very well aware of. After all, I'm an IT professional - technical curiosity kicked in when I saw the link, but I stopped short when "oooh, they're gonna get caught" played in my mind. I wanted to see if the back door really had been opened and if the damn thing actually worked. Looks like curiosity killed many cats...
So those are my thoughts...my condolences to the 119 HBS applicants, the 37 MIT applicants, and the other people who have been impacted by this. I say you all go find 'brookbond' and give him some 'unethical treatment'. LOL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home